Friday, March 29, 2013

Blueberry Coffee Cake...

A few weeks back Tales and I traveled with her basketball team for a tournament and one of my jobs was to bring a breakfast item.  You may not realize this...but things like trying to decide what to bake and bring to functions are somewhat hard for me!  I feel a little silly saying that because I when I arrive with my item in hand I want for it to seem effortless but that is soooo not the case.  I over-think it entirely too much and so it ends up sort of consuming me until I decide. 

I have an AMAZING cinnamon roll cake that I thought about making but then I thought about the girls playing ball all day and how it wasn't very nutritious and decided that I need to make something with berries (silly I know).  Blue berry muffins sounded good but then transporting dozens of them hours away seemed a little daunting, so I came across this recipe and was relieved to have found what I was looking for.  I'm sharing it with you today because I think it would be perfect for Easter breakfast this weekend. 

Basically anything with a streusal topping and I am sold.  I love the crispness of it...so delish.  Then add the sweet berries and you have an absolutely amazing combination.

To make the cake you will need 3/4 cup sugar, 1 stick butter (softened), 1 egg, 3/4 cup half & half, 2 cups flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 cups blueberries...

Beat together the sugar butter, egg and milk.  Add flour, baking powder and salt...


Before adding the berries to the mixture, I added 1 Tablespoon of flour and 2 teaspoons of sugar.  The sugar adds a little extra sweetness and the flour helps distribute the berries throughout the cake instead of them sinking to the bottom...


Once the berries are added you can transfer the dough into a greased 9x13 pan...


Now it is time to mix up the streusal topping.  You will need 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup oatmeal, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 cup butter...


Using a fork combine the ingredients until it is course lumps.  Crumble over the top of the cake and bake in a preheated 375° oven for 35-40 minutes. 


Cut into desired pieces and enjoy.  Add some scrambled eggs and bacon...your Easter breakfast is now complete!!


I couldn't help but share this!  Here is a photo of my Easter Bunny (aka Tater's) about 15 years ago...man how I wish I could transport him back to this age...even if only for a minute...


I wish all of you a happy and healthy Easter holiday.  Sweet Bunny-

No comments:

Post a Comment