Monday, June 24, 2013

Patriotic Oatmeal Cookies...

A month or so back I posted my newest and most delicious Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe because it was National Chocolate Chip Day and lets get real...who doesn't love a chewy chocolate chip cookie??  They were seriously so good that I have been thinking about them ever since.  I have been wanting to recreate them...thinking of all of the yummy additions that could me made.  So I decided to add some oatmeal to the dry ingredients and then add blue and red M&M's for a patriotic spin.

You will make the cookie dough just as I did before (see recipe below), except I only added 2 cups of flour and 1/2 cup of quick cook oatmeal.  I chilled the dough for about 2 hours and then using my scoop I started shaping the cookies.  Because I wanted the M&M's to be on top I didn't add them to the dough...only to the top of the dough before they baked...


Remember you want the cookie dough to be taller than wide because then they bake up thick.

Bake them at 325° for 11 minutes and let them cool on the cookie sheet for a few minutes so that they continue to cook just a little more.


The addition of the oatmeal gives them an added chewiness that I love.  I have packaged them for todays lucky winner...


Tonnette Anderson...you can expect a delivery tonight.  :)  Sweet patriotic-

-------------------------------------------------
Chewy Oatmeal Cookies

2 cups flour
1/2 cup quick cook oatmeal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter-melted
3/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup mini chocolate chips
Blue & Red M&M's

Mix together the flour, oatmeal, baking soda, cornstarch and salt in a large bowl and set aside.  In another bowl whisk together the melted butter, brown sugar and sugar until there is no lumps.  Whisk in the egg, extra yolk and vanilla.  Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together well.  The dough will be soft.  Fold in the chocolate chips and chill for at least 2 hours.  Once the dough is chilled begin making your cookies.  I use a ice cream scoop but you could just use a spoon.  The dough may be a little crumbly but the heat of your hands will form it.  Be sure that the cookie dough is taller than wide.  Push M&M's into the top of the dough.  Bake in a preheated 325° oven for 11 minutes.  Cool cookies on the cookie sheet.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment