Thursday, December 8, 2011

Christmas Cookies #2-Sugar Cookies

FINALLY...the sugar cookie recipe has arrived!  I tell you it took a while, this week has been insane but better late then never!!  Remember way back to Monday when I posted my Cookie Kit gift idea?  Well this sugar cookie recipe is what I use to create them.  You could definitely buy the sugar cookie dough premade and save your self the step of making the dough but if you make this recipe you WILL NOT be disappointed.  When I told my Tater's that I was going to post this recipe he was pretty upset.  He did not want to share!  He loves this cookie and wants it for himself!  Lucky for you I am a little more generous.

I have had this recipe for so long that I can't even remember when I got it.  I believe that it was originally a Betty Crocker recipe but I have adapted it to my own likings over the years.  The addition of Cream Cheese helps this cookie stay nice and moist for a long time (although they won't last that long), they also freeze well for about a month.


To make the sugar cookies you will put 8oz. of cream cheese and 1 cup of butter/margarine in a mixer and beat until light and fluffy.  At this point add 2 cups of sugar and beat again.  Once combined add 1 teaspoon of baking power, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and one egg, combine.  Then you add 3 1/2 cups of flour (not all at once...a little at a time) to the mixture and mix until well incorporated.


Divide the dough in half, spoon onto plastic wrap and make two round discs.  Refrigerate for 4 hours, overnight or until easy to handle (although the dough will still remain soft).


On a lightly floured surface roll each portion to 1/4 inch thick.  Do not roll out too thin...a good sugar cookie is thick and soft (or at least to me it is).  Cut in desired shapes using cookie cutters and place about 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.


Bake at 375° for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are firm and bottom is slightly browned.  Cool on wire rack and decorate as desired.  This recipe will make about 24 large cookies.

I have most likely made this recipe more than any other recipe I have ever had.  I know there are good sugar cookie recipes out there but this one is my FAVORITE of all time.  I am always on the lookout for the perfect recipe for a particular item and now that I have this one I do not need to look any further.  I hope that you try it and enjoy it as much as Tater has.  Sweet sugar-J

No comments:

Post a Comment