Thursday, December 22, 2011

Handmade Christmas-Individual Jar Pies

I just love my new neighborhood and all of the awesome people who live there.  I usually only see them in passing but I want to let them know that I am thinking of them over the holiday season and I think that this gift will be perfect.  I hope that you can find someone to give them to as well.

Who can go wrong with pie?  Especially a sweet little individual pie in a mason jar (I love jars).  The great part about these little pies is that they can be baked or unbaked when you gift them.  I think that I am going to gift mine unbaked because I feel like best part about this gift is the aroma that it will fill their home with and the warmth of a fresh baked apple pie in every bite. 


To make them you will need half pint mason jars, refrigerated pie crust, granny smith apples, pats of butter/margarine and the spice mixture of (2 Tablespoons sugar, 1 Tablespoon brown sugar, 2 Tablespoons flour, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg).  This recipe should make 4 half pint pies.

Use the lid of the jar and a knife to cut the top crust.

To make the bottom crust I pulled apart pieces of dough and put them together like a puzzle.

For the filling I chopped 4 Granny Smith apples and added the spice mixture.

Fill the crust with the apple filling and a teaspoon of butter/margarine on top.  I then cut an apple shape using a small cookie cutter from the top crust and put on top of the pie (be sure to seal the edges together).  If you don't have a small cutter then be sure to poke a few wholes in the dough so that the steam will escape as it bakes.

Cover with fabric, ribbon and they are ready to gift.
They can be frozen for a good month as well.  For those of you gifting them unbaked be sure to add a tag of how to bake them...

Jar Apple Pie

Remove lid and place apple pie on cookie sheet. Put into a preheated 350° oven for 50-55 minutes or until crust is golden and apples are bubbling.  Enjoy!!



No comments:

Post a Comment