Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Handmade Christmas-Quick Bread

I don't know about you but I am a sucker for the combination of oatmeal and chocolate.  When I make oatmeal cookies I rarely ever use raisins...I just add obscene amounts of mini chocolate chips (I love mini chips)!!  The other day I was looking through my recipe pile mountain and rediscovered an Oatmeal and Chocolate Chip Quick bread that I have been waiting to try.  It can be neatly layered into a jar with the recipe attached or made into a moist and irresistible loaf.


Lucky for you I am going to show you both yummy ways and you can decide which would be better for your gift giving.  To layer the ingredients you will need a large jar..I used a mason jar.  Begin layering with 1 cup of all-purpose flour (be sure to tap on counter so that each ingredient settles before adding another layer), then 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1 cup of rolled oats (I just used quick cook because I had them), then another cup of all-purpose flour but this time mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon of salt into the flour before layering.


1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips go on top of that (you could also add 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts but I don't care for nuts in my baked goods) and you are finished layering.  Top with the lid, a little fabric and ribbon.  For the tag you want to be sure and give good instructions of how to make it.


Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Quick Bread

*Mix the contents of the jar in a large bowl.
*In a small bowl, beat 1 1/2 cups of buttermilk, 2 large eggs and 1/4 cup of vegetable oil.
*Stir wet mixture into dry ingredients until evenly moistened (batter should be lumpy).
*Scrape into a greased and floured 9" loaf pan and bake at 350° for about 50 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes our clean.

Attach the tag and you have a perfect gift for someone who loves to bake...

To bake a loaf for someone use the ingredients and directions above but bake it in a foil loaf pan (for easy giving).  Once it has cooled and is ready to gift, wrap it in plastic wrap with some fabric or ribbon and cute tag.  Like this...


NOTE:  I didn't have any buttermilk when I went to bake this bread, so I used 1 1/2 tablespoons of white vinegar and enough milk to make 1 1/2 cups.  Just be sure to let it sit for about 5 minutes and then mix it right in.  It is a great substitution for the buttermilk.  The ratio is 1 tablespoon of vinegar for every cup of milk.


Perfect gift idea for a teacher, neighbor or anyone who loves home baked goodness.  Hope you are enjoying my "Handmade Christmas" series!  Sweet quick bread-J

No comments:

Post a Comment