Friday, December 23, 2011

To me Christmas is...

To me Christmas has changed so much over the years.  When I was a young child it was all about Santa and gifts under the tree.  My parents made it the most special day of the year.  I'm not quite sure how they did it but we always felt like we were the luckiest kids in the entire world.  It was such an exciting time full of anticipation and joy. 

As I grew a little older it was still exciting and fabulous but I began to realize the true meaning of Christmas.  After all it is Jesus' birthday!!  That is definitely something to celebrate...man I love that guy!!!

When I left for college it became a special time to be reunited with family and friends for an extended stay and I loved that.  I tended to be homesick...so being home for a long break was gift enough for me.

Then I got married and became new Mom...I felt like I had been transported back to my childhood.  Living the holiday season through the eyes of my precious young children.  A truly magical time in my life.  It was at this moment that I realized that "Christmas" doesn't just happen...it is weeks of hard work that are pulled together by mom.  My mom always made it seem so effortless, I admire that about her.

Now as my children have gotten a little older (they are both going to be teenagers next year) things have changed still a little more.  Christmas has become less about Santa again and more about the season.  Don't get me wrong...gifts are still very important to them but they understand the concept of money and the cost of things.  They realize (especially with how the economy is now) that it is not so much about the presents but the love of family and friends. 

This Christmas I am focusing on the wonderful things that I have in my life.  I have an amazing group of friends and family who make my life so enjoyable.  People who truly love me for who I am!  I am grateful for being able to go to work each day (even though sometimes I don't want to).  I am thankful for my health and that of my children.  This past year has been a tough one but I am here...I am happy and I am ready for what life has in store.  Christmas is my time to celebrate all of these things and I am excited to do so!!!   Peace, Love and Joy from my home to yours...Sweet Christmas-J


 

No comments:

Post a Comment