Monday, December 5, 2011

Handmade Christmas-Cookie Kits

Since I have been on the handmade Christmas kick my mind has been racing.  I have quite a few gifts in mind but today's idea is a Cookie Kit.  It can be done in a couple of different ways.

The first way that I am going to show you is what I would call the complete package.  The picture below is one that I donated a few months ago for a Halloween Silent Auction but it can be adapted for any holiday.  I baked 1½ dozen sugar cookies (I have an amazing recipe that I will post tomorrow), tinted some store bought cream cheese frosting (but you could make your own), a few packages of sprinkles and some plastic knives.  Everything someone you love would need to make some wonderful and tasty cookies with their own special touch.

To me it is all in the presentation.  I used cute little canning jars topped with fabric and tied with yarn to put the frosting in.  I also purchased small cellophane bags at Walmart to nestle the sprinkles in and topped it off with coordinating ribbon.  The cookies were pumpkins and candy corn (surprise) but for Christmas you could make them trees, holly, Santa hats, stockings or even a simple circle.

The second idea is just a variation on the same sugar cookie theme.  You could make or buy sugar cookie dough.  Give a few cookie cutters, frosting and sprinkles but they recipients would actually bake the cookies and decorate them. 

For presentation I would wrap the dough in parchment paper and tie both ends with ribbon or twine.  You could package the frosting and sprinkles just like above.

Either way would be such a great gift.  I can't wait to give them to a busy friend with kids...they can have homemade cookies for Santa, she can just open the package and let her children dive in.  I hope you find someone special to give a Cookie Kit to because I think any gift that can help a mom out is a great one.  Sweet cookies-J

1 comment: