Friday, November 8, 2013

Pumpkin Sugar Cookies...

I stumbled across a recipe similar to this one early in October and filed it somewhere in my crazy brain.  It wasn't until the other day that I thought of it again and knew I wanted to try it.  The cookie sounded so soft, delicious and perfect for the holiday season.  Now, I realize that everywhere you look there is a new pumpkin recipe guaranteeing to be the best you ever had but this recipe is uniquely different right down to the ingredients.

I have never made a cookie recipe that called for both butter and oil or both granulated sugar and powdered sugar.  To be honest when I began combining the ingredients I was skeptical.  I am a creature of habit and even a strange recipe can throw me off. 


But believe me...do not let the ingredients stop you...this cookie is so yummy and perfect for this time of year.  I love that the dough does not have to be chilled.  You can be baking cookies in just a few minutes.  To me the most important part of this cookie is the glaze.  DO NOT leave this out!!  It takes this cookie over the top.

To make them you will need 1/2 cup softened butter, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (canned pumpkin), 1 cup granulated sugar, 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 2 eggs, 4 cups flour, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice.

In a large bowl, stir together the butter, oil, pumpkin, sugars, vanilla and eggs until it all incorporated.  Now this is the step that had me scared...look at this mess.  Don't be afraid, just continue...


Slowly mix in all of the dry ingredients until everything is mixed well.  Now that looks better...


Scoop a heaping tablespoon or use a 1 1/2" scoop to make cookies and place on greased or Silpat lined baking sheet...


With the bottom of a cup flatten the cookie to about a 1/2".  If the cookie dough is too sticky you could use a little granulated sugar like you would for a peanut butter cookie but I didn't have a problem...


While the cookies are baking in a preheated 350° for 8-9 minutes (don't over bake) you can put the glaze together.  It is so simple.  Put 3 cups of powdered sugar, 1/4 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice and 4-5 Tablespoons of water and whisk together.  You want the glaze to drizzle but not be so thin that it slides right off of the cookie...


There it is....mmmmmmm...
 

Allow cookies to cool on cookie sheet for 3 minutes and then transfer to cooling rack.  Frost the top of each cookie with about a teaspoon of glaze...
 

Let the glaze harden for few hours or enjoy warm.  This cookie is seriously like an Autumn party in your mouth!!  Sweet glaze-




No comments:

Post a Comment