Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine Breakfast 2013...

Yesterday I shared with you a fun idea for this mornings Valentine's breakfast.  It is what I fixed for my sweeties last year and they absolutely loved them.  Now I have to tell you that one of the problems with being me (and believe me...there is more than just one) is that I sometimes get obsessive over silly things...like breakfast on Valentine's Day.  I really do have other things to do but once I make my mind up to do something then it pretty much consumes me until it is planned and over.  The fact is that I'm sure my kids appreciate tolerate this trait.  I could probably serve them cereal and they would be completely happy...as long as they didn't have to do it themselves.  I think that might be why I blog because then I have a reason to do these things.

So for this years breakfast I decided to make heart shaped French Toast with fresh raspberry syrup.  The night before I cut my Texas Toast bread into heart shapes, mixed my French Toast batter, set the table and assembled the syrup.

Breakfast table...


I just used a cookie cutter to make the heart shaped Texas Toast...


I like using Texas Toast because I want the bread to be thick.

For my French Toast batter I combined 3 eggs, 1 cup of milk, 1 teaspoon of vanilla, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg...


The raspberry syrup began in a sauce pan with 1 pint of raspberries, 1/3 cup sugar (mine was a little tart, you may need to add a little more) and 1 teaspoon vanilla.  Cook over medium heat for about five minutes being sure to stir and break up the berries with a wooden spoon constantly.  Let cool completely and then using my blender I blended it until smooth...



You could go one step further and use a strainer to get the seeds out but I didn't this time.

This morning all I needed to do was get the griddle ready, warm the syrup and cook the French Toast.  It really was pretty darn simple. 



It truly is a great way to start the day...it is sad that I only do it a few times a year.  I think once in a while a "just because week day breakfast" might be in order.  Sweet valentine-

No comments:

Post a Comment