Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Potato Wedges & BBQ Dipping Sauce


For some reason side dishes seem to be hard for me.  Deciding what to serve with my main dish is complicated and annoying.  I'm not sure why?  Growing up my sweet mama always made our dinners flawlessly...it was like she could just wake up everyday and dinner for the night was born effortlessly.  I now realize that was not the case...there was a lot of planning involved but still...what am I going to serve with the pork roast in the crock pot?????  One of the problems is trying to please EVERY palate in my home.  Tater loves pasta but not couscous...Tales likes Caesar salad but not spinach salad!!  I admit that a lot of nights I try to choose a one pot dinner just so that I don't have to think about what to make for my second dish.

There is however one side dish that everyone seems to love equally and that is Potato Wedges.  I love them because they are simple to throw together and they can be eaten with any meat.  To make them I begin with a potato for each person that I am feeding...


I wash the skins of the potato's really well and then cut them...



First in thirds length wise.


Then I take each piece and slice wedges.  Usually 3 or 4 wedges per slice...



Until I have them all cut.  I then arrange them on a greased baking sheet skin side down.  Instead of drowning them in oil to bake, I spray them with Canola Oil cooking spray (PAM) on the top and season them with salt and pepper.  Bake them in a preheated 450° oven for about 25 minutes or until they look like this (if they don't have the color you want then turn on the broiler the last few minutes and they will)...


My kids love them dipped in ranch and ketchup but the other day I decided to try and recreate the Onion Ring Sauce from Red Robin.  I'm not sure if you have ever tasted it before but it is quite AMAZING.  To make it I used 1/2 cup of mayonnaise, 1/4 cup barbecue sauce and 1 teaspoon of liquid smoke...


Combine well and serve for dipping...


Make them as a side along side a burger, roast, chicken breast...anything.  An easy side dish that everyone should love.  Now I just need to come up with about 10 more...Sweet sides-

No comments:

Post a Comment