Thursday, November 15, 2012

Budget Beef-Hamburger Hash

At my house breakfast for dinner is welcomed...if fact it may even be preferred.  Actually I think that my children could eat breakfast foods three times a day for weeks and be completely satisfied.  Myself, on the other hand...I love breakfast food...just usually not for breakfast.  I am not a breakfast eater...I try...I just don't love it at that time of the day but make it for dinner and I am all in!!

Most hashes are made with sausage, bacon or ham but this one I used some good ol' burger and it was delish.  The combination of all of the ingredients (even if some are a little unusual) really pulls this dish together in a tasty way.  Having it only use one pot makes it even better...one pot meals rock!!! 

To make it you will need 1 lb. of hamburger, 4 medium sized russet potatoes (peeled and cut into 1/2" chunks), 2 grated carrots, 1/2 of a small onion (diced), 4 Tablespoons of heavy cream, salt & pepper to taste.


I began by browning the hamburger.  While it was cooking I peeled and diced my potatoes, diced the onion and grated the carrots...


Once the burger is cooked remove it from the pan with a slotted spoon and discard any remaining grease left in the pan.  I then added a teaspoon or two of olive oil to the pan along with the onion and carrots...


I cooked the carrot and onions until they were soft and then removed them from the pan with the hamburger...


Add 1 Tablespoon of olive oil and the potatoes to the pan.  To make sure they cook evenly and brown well I like to make an even layer and pat them down with a spatula.  You can also add a lid to them while cooking and the steam does a great job of softening them up quick...


Once the potatoes are cooked through I added the hamburger, carrots and onions back to the pan, along with the heavy cream.  Instead of making fried eggs in the mixture (because not everyone in my house loves them) I scrambled 4 eggs...


Make a well in the middle of the hash and pour the eggs into it.  Continue to cook until the eggs are as desired...


I served it with toast and jam...


A perfect and easy to clean up meal that will stick to your ribs and make your family VERY happy. 
Sweet hash-

No comments:

Post a Comment