Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Quick Chicken Noodle Soup...

With flu season here (and my Darb feeling under the weather) I decided to make a pot of Chicken Noodle soup after work on Friday night for dinner.  There is something so soothing about a warm and steamy bowl of homemade Chicken Noodle soup when you are not feeling well. 

There are few things that make me feel better when I am sick...
1. Being home
2. My mom (I realize I am almost 37 years old but who doesn't want their sweet mama when they don't feel well?)
3. A warm blanket (the one my Grandma Pearl made me preferably)
4. Soup (A can will do but homemade is always better). 


What I love about this soup is that it can be made in about 30 minutes and it tastes like you have been slaving over the stove all day.  The key to that is getting as much flavor out of all of you ingredients as you possibly can.  Seasoning and layering flavors as you go can take any one pot meal over the top.


To make it I started with 2 large boxes of low sodium chicken stock, 3 shredded & cooked chicken breasts, 2 chopped carrots, 2 stalks of chopped celery, 1/4 of a chopped sweet onion, 1 minced clove of garlic, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, frozen egg noodles, salt and pepper to taste...


I began by cooking my chopped vegetables and garlic in about 2 teaspoons of olive oil until they were soft and translucent...


I then added 1 Tablespoon of flour to the vegetables.  Be sure to stir it around well and let it cook for about 30 seconds.  This will give the soup a little thickness...


To that I added the chicken stock...


Cover and let simmer for about 10 minutes.  Add the frozen noodles and chicken...cover again until the noodles are soft...


Then it is ready...just add the fresh parsley and serve it up...


A few things about this soup is to use a low sodium chicken stock or broth.  I want to be able to control the salt in my food.  I also used the frozen egg noodles because I think they are fabulous in a pot of soup and they hold up well but you could definately use a box variety. 
Now it may not be a cure for the bug going around but at least it will warm your soul and fill your tummy.  Sweet soup-

No comments:

Post a Comment