Friday, January 4, 2013

Chicken Stir fry

It is that time of year when resolutions are high on the priority list and healthy living becomes something I tend to think of more than other times.  I'm sure I am not the only one out there who would like to loose a few (20+) pounds and get healthier.  I hate the word diet because I know if I am going to loose weight and keep it off I need to make a life style change and lets get real...I'm not going to eat a boring salad for every single meal!  If I am going to stick to something the food has got to be good...not diet food good...but real food that's real good!!

Now don't you worry yourself...this blog is NOT going to become a health food inspired page that is filled with diet recipes...I PROMISE!!!  I love all food...so there is no way that is EVER going to happen but a tasty and super healthy recipe now and then is good for the waistline.


I love stir fry because it is a quick and hearty meal.  Today I am using chicken but pork or beef would be fabulous.  I also love it because you can modify the recipe to use veggies that you and your family like.  Here is what I used to make mine.


4 boneless chicken breasts (cubed), 1 bag of broccoli slaw, 1/2 of an onion chopped, 1 package of sliced mushrooms, 2 cloves of garlic, 3 heaping teaspoons of hoisin sauce, 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, 1/4 teaspoon of sesame oil (optional) and quinoa (but brown rice would be fab).

I don't own a fancy pan for stir fry...so a large frying pan does the trick.  I began by heating up some olive oil over medium heat and then adding the chicken until it is browned and almost cooked through.  I then removed them from the pan.


I added a little more olive oil, the onion, broccoli slaw and mushrooms next until they were translucent and soft...


I then added the chicken back to the pan, along with the minced garlic.  Next is the sauce...in a bowl I combined the hoisin sauce, soy sauce and sesame oil and poured the mixture over the meat and veggies.  You may need to add a little water or chicken stock to make the sauce to your desired thickness.  Cook for a little longer and serve over quinoa or brown rice.


I'm telling you that this recipe is DELISH!!  Not for one moment did I feel like I was missing out on anything and believe me...I don't fib about things like that!!  Sweet resolutions-

No comments:

Post a Comment