Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Remembering 9/11...

12 years ago I was going through my normal morning routine.  My 4yr. old and 2 yr. old babies were just finishing breakfast.  I always watched the TODAY show as the kids got up and around...it was then that the fateful events of 9/11 were happening live on my television.  It was such a surreal feeling as I sat there and watched it unfold.  I remember the helplessness that came over me as my thoughts turned to all of those who were in "the eye of the storm."  As the day went on and on and the details emerged that feeling only became more evident.  My heart hurt for every single person involved and for our nation as a whole.

That day will forever be engraved in my mind.  I remember details of that day down to what I was wearing.  I remember feeling guilty because we were safe and so many were not.  I still get choked up when I watch clips of that day.  It was a day that forever changed our country.  A day in which too many innocent people lost their lives and loved ones for no good reason.

It was also a day that heroes emerged.  A day that our nation came together and took a stand against those who so viciously attacked us.  American flags adorned almost every home across the country.  Communities came together to pray.  Schools took a moment of silence.  Charities were formed and supported.  As we went through one of the single most heart breaking moments in American history our country stood strong.

Last night as I was making my rounds and putting the kids to bed, Tales asked me what 9/11 meant.  It never really occurred to me that she didn't know because it was such a life changing moment for me.  I stood there for a moment and thought of how to answer.  I wanted to give her enough details so that she would know but not enough to make her worry.  I kept my explanation short and tried to really concentrate on the heroic people who made it so much less than what it could have been.  How the terrorist set out to destroy America and the opposite happened.

Today I want to take a moment to remember 9/11 and the 3000 + men, women and children who lost their lives on that day.  I want to remember the thousands of volunteers who selflessly put their lives in danger to save a stranger.  Today I want to remember how wonderful it is to be an American.  Sweet remembrance-

 

No comments:

Post a Comment