Friday, September 27, 2013

Southwest Rice Casserole...

I've admitted it before...I am a sucker for Mexican food.  Chips and Salsa??  Yes, please.  Cheesy Enchilada??  Of course.  Crispy Taco with extra sour cream?  Most definitely.  My kids, however do not share the same love for it.  Which makes me sad...so I make it anyway and they just have to deal.  Honestly eating Mexican food 3-4 times a week would be perfect for me but because I at least try to please my kids...I only make it once...okay, sometimes twice but who is counting.

I love this casserole for a number of reasons...
1) It is low calorie/fat (brown rice, Greek yogurt, & low fat cheese rock).
2) It has black beans and corn in it...one of my favorite combinations.
3) I love to find new and easy side dishes.
4) It only uses two pans and comes together in no time.
5) I love anything Mexican...minus hot and minus cilantro (much to Darby's dismay).
6) I can't forget the most important one...MY KID'S LIKED IT!!!!
 
To make this yummy dish you will need 4 cups of cooked brown rice (I love the Uncle Bens in the bag), 3/4 cup frozen or fresh corn cut off of the cob, 1 can of drained and rinsed black beans, 1 cup of plain non-fat Greek yogurt (you could also use sour cream), 3/4 cup of salsa (this is where you can control the heat), 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon cumin and 1 cup of low fat or 2% shredded cheddar cheese and a little cilantro for garnish (because I like my man to be happy).

 
In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients (except cilantro) and mix thoroughly to combine.  Be sure that the Greek yogurt and cheese are distributed throughout the mixture.  Season with salt and pepper to taste and transfer to a greased baking dish.  Top with extra cheese and bake in a preheated 350° oven for 20-25 minutes, or until heated through and bubbly...

 
So good...

 
I served it with grilled chicken and it was a yummy, healthy & filling meal.  I love when I can cook with lower fat ingredients and nobody notices.  Enjoy.  Sweet casserole-

No comments:

Post a Comment