Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Tye Dye Cake on the inside...

When I first began making birthday cakes years ago, they would give me cake flavor and theme.  That was it. 
I now find myself  making cakes in which the inside of the cake looks a certain way.  If you remember, in June I made Lanie a "zebra on the inside" cake and now her sister Harley has requested a "tye dye on the inside" cake.  I'm not complaining...I love a challenge and I always tell them I will make whatever they want.  It is just funny to see how things change...even birthday cakes.

Taters and Tales don't even want birthday cakes anymore...they prefer things like brownies and cheesecake.  I guess that when your mom is making a cake or two a week then the desire for it wears off.  Thank goodness I have other sweeties to make cakes for.
 
 
To make it I used one white cake mix and prepared the batter just like is says on the back of the box.  I then divided the batter into 5 bowls...plastic cups would be so much easier.  To each bowl I added food coloring until I got the desired shade.  I used purple, blue, red, yellow and green...
 
 
I used gel colors that I found at my local Safeway in the baking section...
 
 
I lined the bottom of two 8" round cake pans and sprayed them with cooking spray.  Just like the zebra cake I started with one color and put about 1/4 cup of batter into the middle of both pans...
 
 
To the middle of that I used another color...
 
 
And another and another until all 5 colors had been used...
 
 
I then baked it according to the box instructions and let them cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes before I removed them from the pans.  Let them cool completely before decorating.

Here is the final product...
 

Happy Birthday Harley!!!

Sweet Harley-

No comments:

Post a Comment