Monday, April 1, 2013

Cinnamon Roll Cookies...

I have a lot of favorite things...my Tater's & Tale's, my family & friends, my Darb & his sweet girls, my home, Diet Coke, Haribo gummy bears, the Happy Horse, Disneyland, blush wine, the beach, flip flops, chocolate covered pretzels, 3 day weekends, Papa Leo's hotcakes, girls night out, a brisk walk, sunshine, Albertson Reservoir, baking...I could go on...but I will save you & I won't.  The point is that I have a ton of things that I consider to be my favorites and one of my favorite baked food items is...Cinnamon Rolls with icing.  So when I came across this recipe on Pinterest I was intrigued.  Would a cookie version of one of my favorite foods be delicious?  The answer to that question is...YES...YES they can!!

I made these over the weekend for my families Easter Sunday dinner and they were a fabulous addition to the dessert table.  In fact, I'm glad that I had sampled a couple at home because I didn't get one at dinner...they were a hit. 

To make them I made my favorite (I know...how many times can I say this word in one post) sugar cookie dough recipe but you could use the one that you love or make it even easier and buy it pre-made.  The key is to chill the dough before you start rolling it out.  I divided my dough into two discs and refrigerated it over night but a couple of hours would be good.

For the filling you are going to need 8 Tablespoons of softened butter, 1 1/3 cups of brown sugar and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon...


I divided each disc of dough in half and on a floured surface I rolled each half out into a rectangle shaped piece.  You are going to want to roll it to about 1/4" thickness...trust me...they don't bake up well if it is any thinner.  To each rectangle you want to spread out 2 Tablespoons of butter, 1/3 cup brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon...


Take the longest edge and roll toward yourself until it tightly rolled.  Cut into 1/2" cookies using a sharp knife...


Place onto a greased baking sheet (my SILPAT worked great)...


Using your fingers press the flap at the end of the cookie tight against the side of the cookie and bake in a preheated 375° oven for 10-12 minutes or until the bottom of the cookie begins to turn light brown.  Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet for a few minutes before to transfer them to a cooling rack.

Now it is on to the frosting...YUM...you will need 2 Tablespoons of butter, 1 cup of powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 4 Tablespoons of milk...


Mix all of the ingredients together.  You may need to add a few more drops of milk to make the frosting the consistency that you are after. 


I put my frosting into a Ziploc bag, cut the corner off and drizzled it over each cooled cookie but you could frost them while they are still warm if you would rather...


They were amazing...maybe even my favorite sugar cookie!!  See now I have a new favorite. 
Sweet cinnamon-

No comments:

Post a Comment