Friday, April 5, 2013

Chicken Cordon Blue Pasta...

So what do you do when you have two chicken breasts and leftover Easter ham in the fridge???  You make a pasta dish of course...or at least if you are me that is what you do.  Pasta is a staple at my house (& yes, my hips show it), I'm not sure if it is the Italian in me or just a love but I can.not.get.enough!!  I love that pasta is so versatile...you can literally dress it up however you want and dinner is served.   The problem with this dish is that it isn't exactly figure friendly.  I had thought about trying to cut some of the fat out but then I reconsidered...who has time for that!!  I'd rather go for a walk after dinner then sacrifice the tastiness of this dish.

To begin I started cooking a box of pasta and cooked my cubed chicken breasts over medium/high heat in a pan with olive oil.  I seasoned them with salt and pepper.


  Once cooked through I added 1 tablespoon of Dijon Mustard to the chicken and stirred well to coat...


What is Chicken Cordon Blue without a little mustard?

I then added about a cup of chopped leftover ham...


Your pasta should be almost ready.  Once it has finished cooking drain it and add it to the chicken and ham.  You are also going to add 3 tablespoons of butter, 3/4 cup of heavy cream and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese...sinful...I know!  Stir together well and then pour it into a greased 9x13 pan...

For the topping you need to melt 2 Tablespoons of butter in the microwave (it only take a few seconds)...


To the melted butter add 1/4 cup of Italian seasoned bread crumbs and mix together...



Add it to the top of the pasta mixture and bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until the top is browned and bubbly...

The next step is the best of all...consumption!!  A little fork to mouth action and your taste buds will be dancing.  My boys especially loved it...two different meats in one dish...boys dig that.   If you don't have fresh chicken breasts then a couple of defrosted chicken strips from the freezer would work perfectly.  Enjoy!!  Sweet pasta-
----------------------------------------------------------

Chicken Cordon Blue Pasta

1 box pasta
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 Chicken breasts-cubed
1 cup of chopped ham
1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
3/4 cup heavy cream
3 Tablespoons butter
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Topping

2 Tablespoons butter (melted)
1/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs

Begin by boiling the pasta.  Cook the chicken over medium heat in a pan with about 1 Tablespoon of olive oil, season with salt and pepper.  Once cooked through then add 1 Tablespoon of Dijon Mustard and mix well.  To that add the ham and stir.  Then you are going to add the cooked pasta, 3/4 cup heavy cream, 3 Tablespoons of butter and 1/3 cup of Parmesan Cheese.  Mix together and pour into a greased 9x13 pan.  For the topping melt 2 Tablespoons of butter in the microwave and add 1/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs, mix together and pour over the casserole.  Bake in a preheated 375° oven for 20-25 minutes or until the topping is starting to brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment