Friday, May 3, 2013

Taquito Casserole

Cinco de' Mayo is on Sunday!!  There are two very important things about the 5th of May...Margarita's are a requirement by law and a year ago Sunday is when I began dating Darby (not that the two should really be in that order...hmmmm).  I think that any day that I can celebrate with a Margarita in one hand and my Darb on the other is a good day!!  NOTHING could be bad about that...nothing!!  Add this casserole to your celebration and I think that it may just be the best Cinco de' Mayo you have EVER had...just sayin!!

When I was thinking about what I wanted to make I instantly thought of my Taquito's because they are awesome!  But then I also knew that I wanted to go the Reservoir that day...and although I could have made them ahead-I didn't want to...and then the thought of rolling up thousands (a bit of an exaggeration) of tortillas made me tired...and so I decided to use the same recipe and assemble it differently!!  Don't you just love it when I give you a glimpse into my mind??? I'm sure not...moving on... 

I began by toasting 5-8" flour tortillas in the oven for about 5 minutes at 375°.  You could totally skip this step and it would be just fine but I wanted the extra crunch...


Then it is just a matter of combining the filling ingredients.  You will need 3 cups of cooked chicken, 1-8 oz. package of softened cream cheese, 2 cups of shredded cheese, 1/2 cup salsa, 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice, 1 teaspoon cumin, 2 teaspoons chili powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt.


You can shred or cube your chicken.  I grilled it with just a bit of salt and pepper...


If your cream cheese isn't completely softened just put it in the microwave for about 20 seconds.  Combine the ingredients and the filling is good to go...


I used a spring form pan but you could use a pie plate or anything else you have on hand.  Be sure to spray your pan with non-stick cooking spray and then begin layering the ingredients.  I began with a tortilla, 1/3 of filling, tortilla, 1/3 of filling, tortilla, 1/3 of filling, tortilla and lastly cheese.


Bake it in a preheated 375° oven for about 20-25 minutes or until heated through...



Cut into pie shapes and serve with your favorite toppings...


Honestly I may never make this recipe as individual Taquito's ever again...ain't nobody got for time for that??  I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.  Sweet Cinco de' Mayo-

 

No comments:

Post a Comment