Wednesday, May 15, 2013

National Chocolate Chip Day...

I realize that Wednesdays are supposed to be dedicated to my weight loss but there are a few things that take precedence.  Chocolate Chips Cookies are one of them...especially on a day celebrating the main ingredient to my most favorite cookie.  How could one not post a fantastic recipe for chocolate chip cookies on national chocolate chip day?  There has to be a law against crazy things like that...there just has to be...its a NATIONAL holiday after all!!  We shouldn't even have to work on important days like this one...if we can get a day off for a president then I think that we should for a cookie.  I mean come on it is soft...thick...chewy...extra gooey dessert??  Tell me what is more important than that!


When I think of baking a cookie, chocolate chip cookies are always the first one that I turn to...it kind of like when I want soda...it just has to be diet coke.   There is no doubt that I love cookies (my hips don't lie) but I feel like I am a bit of chocolate chip cookie snob.  I'm not a fan of flat and crispy cookies!!  This recipe is literally the easiest (no mixer needed) and best chocolate chip cookie recipe that I have EVER made.  The combination of ingredients and how you incorporate them make them so perfect!!  I shall never make them any other way...that is until I find another recipe that speaks to me.

Begin by measuring 2 1/4 cups of flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch and 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a large bowl and mixing them together well.  Set aside.

Cornstarch is the secret ingredient...


In a small bowl whisk together 3/4 cup or 1 1/2 sticks of melted butter, 1 1/2 cups of brown sugar and 1/2 cup of white sugar until it is smooth and there are no lumps.  To that add 1 whole egg and 1 egg yolk to the mixture and whisk.  Then add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and combine.  Add 1 tablespoon of vanilla.  Lastly add 1 cup of chocolate chips...I used 1/2 cup of mini (because I just can't resist) and 1/2 cup of regular sized semi sweet chocolate chips...


Mix until the chips are combined and then refrigerate the dough for at least 2 hours.  Once the dough is chilled begin making the cookies.  I took about 2 tablespoons for each cookie and rolled it between my hands making the cookies a little more tall then round because I wanted the cookies to bake up thick...


The dough will be a little crumbly but the heat from your hands will keep it together.  Bake in a preheated 325° oven for about 11 minutes and do not over bake.  They will continue to bake for a few minutes on the cookie sheet and we want them gooey. 


*I've never made a chocolate chip cookie that uses melted butter but it was nice to not have to use a mixer.  *The dough literally comes together with a whisk and spatula.  
*Adding cornstarch makes the cookie so soft and light. 
*Be sure to not skip the chilling of the dough because they will not bake up the same.
*Rolling the cookies into taller and narrow balls makes them bake up thick.


 Chocolate chip day is now my favorite holiday!!  I shall celebrate it every year!!  Sweet cookie-
-----------------------------------------------
CHEWY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons corn starch
1/2 salt
3/4 cup or 1 1/2 sticks melted butter
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg + 1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips

In a large bowl combine the flour, baking soda, corn starch and salt.  In a medium bowl combine the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar with a whisk until there are no lumps.  Add the eggs.  Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and combine.  Add the vanilla and combine.  Add the chocolate chips until evenly distributed.  Chill dough in the fridge for at least 2 hours.  Using your hands roll the cookies into rounds, being sure they are more tall than round.  Bake in a preheated 325° oven for 11 minutes.  Cool on the cookie sheet and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment