Friday, October 4, 2013

Banana Crumb Cake...

When I run I eat a banana before I hit the pavement...every.single.time.  Now, because I don't like bananas that are the least bit mushy or brown that means that there is always an abundance of bananas on my counter that I will not touch.  I hate to throw them away...so I am always looking for ways to use them.  Banana Bread is one of Tater and Tale's favorite breakfast items but this time I wanted to do something a little different.  I decided to use the bananas to make more of a coffee cake...mostly because I am a sucker for the topping.  Butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and a little flour...what could be wrong with that?

To make the cake you will need 2 cups sugar, 1 cup milk, 2 cups self rising flour (or 2 cup flour, 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder & 2 tsp. salt), 1 stick of softened butter/margarine, 2 eggs, 3 bananas & 1 tsp. vanilla.  For the crumb topping you will need 1 stick of softened butter/margarine, 1 cup of light brown sugar, 1 cup of flour & 1/2 tsp. cinnamon.
 
Put the sugar and the bananas in the mixer and mix on medium speed until they are liquefied...
 
 
Add butter/margarine to the banana mixture and cream together until mixed well...
 
 
Then add all of the additional ingredients and mix until well combined.  For the topping cut together the crumb ingredients until they are it comes together like this...
 
 
In a greased 9x11 pan or two loaf pans add half of the banana mixture, followed by half of the crumbs and another layer of banana mixture...
 
 
Add the rest of the crumb mixture to the top and bake in a preheated 350° oven for 40-45 minutes for a 9x13 or 60 minutes for loaf or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean...
 
 
Serve for breakfast or eat half (like Tater & Tales) before you go to bed...
 

 
How was it you ask?  Let me just say this...FABULOUS!!  If you are looking for a delicious way to use up your brown bananas then I highly recommend this recipe.  Sweet cake-

P.S.- I just have to wish our Lakeview Honkers good luck tonight at their Homecoming Game...go #57!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment