Thursday, May 3, 2012

Homeade Taco Shells...

One of my sweet mama's signature recipes is her Homemade Taco Shells.  They are divine and since Cinco' de Mayo is this weekend I thought that maybe this would be perfect for your upcoming Mexican fiesta.  Having taco's at my parents is not just a meal...it is an event.  When my seesters (I know that isn't how you spell sister but that is how we do it...hehe) and I were young we had taco's EVERY Saturday night after church.  We said we were having "Taco's at Taco Bill's" (my padres name is Bill and as you can see from my posts I NEVER really call anyone by their given name).  It was a family tradition, which you know I absolutely LOVE!!  I'm shooting you straight when I say that once you have a taco at my mom's...well then...you will never want anything else.  Does it seem like I might be going a little overboard??  I promise you I am not!!

The only way I can explain them is that they are a cross between a crepe and a corn tortilla.  Fill them with all of the goodies and top with some chili and your taste buds will be in H.E.A.V.E.N.!!  I want to warn you that the first one NEVER turns out perfect but don't be discouraged...keep on going.  Today we are lucky enough to be shown by the master herself...my MAMA...


To make them you will need 1 cup of cornstarch, 1/4 cup of yellow cornmeal, 1/4 cup of vegetable oil, 1 cup of milk, 2 eggs and 1/2 teaspoon of seasoning salt (this will make about 8 shells.  Whisk all of the ingredients together well.  It should be a little thick but still runny...


Heat a non-stick (very important) skillet over medium heat and spray with non-stick spray.  It should be warm enough to only be able to keep your hand over it for a few seconds...


Add about 1/4 cup of mix to the pan and swirl around to cover the bottom of the skillet...




It only takes about 20 seconds for the top to set and then you flip over...GENTLY...


Another few seconds and you are ready to start on your next one...


We like to fill them with unseasoned ground beef, grated cheese, lettuce, tomato, olives, onions, sour cream, taco seasoning...roll it up and top with chili...


I love these taco shells and I love my mama even more...look at this face!!!


Sweet taco shells-

No comments:

Post a Comment