Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Creamy Chicken Enchiladas

This recipe was one I had planned on posting last week for Cinco de Mayo but time got away from me...so here it is today!!

"Chicken Again"...that is what my bratty sweet children ask me and I just sigh.  I get soooo tired of trying to make everyone happy at dinner time.  Do you feel like you can never make EVERYONE happy like I do?  I often wonder if I am alone in this culinary journey of dinner bliss.  I have to say that I do take my children's taste buds into consideration when planning meals but I never make more than one meal to please everyone.  If you are one of the gracious one's then more power to you...I can hardly get one meal on the table in an evening let alone two.  In fact I'm tired just thinking of it!!

This is one recipe that everyone likes at my home but it hasn't always been that way.  I have discovered that my children's palate changes just like mine.  Besides everyone liking this recipe the very best thing about it is that you are using up the leftovers in a delicious way and instead of standing at the counter and rolling enchiladas we are going to layer them like a lasagna.

I have adapted this recipe from one that my Aunt Meme gave me about 16 years ago.  Her recipe called for chicken (and that what I am using today) but I have found that the leftover turkey works perfectly.  So remember this in November when you have 2 gallon Ziploc bags of turkey laying in the fridge. To make this recipe you will need:

Two cups of leftover chicken or turkey-chopped, 1 pkg. of tortillas (I have used both corn and flour), 1 can of enchilada sauce, 1/2 can of sweet corn, 1 small can of olives, 1/2 can of black beans, 1 cup of cooked rice (mine was leftover), 2 cups of shredded cheese (sorry that didn't make the picture), 1/2 cup of jarred salsa (it didn't make it either) and 1 small container of sour cream...


To begin combine the 2 cups of chicken, rice, corn, black beans, sour cream, salsa and 1 1/2 cups of cheese...


Spray pan with non-stick cooking spray and add a small amount of enchilada sauce to cover the bottom of the dish, then add a layer of tortillas...


Add the chicken mixture to the top of the tortillas...


Then another layer of tortillas, more enchilada sauce, the remaining cheese and the olives...


Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until heated through.  Serve with a side salad and dinner is on the table...


It is easy and delicious...



Sweet enchiladas-

No comments:

Post a Comment