Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Tacos al June

For some reason and much to my children's dismay...I LOVE Mexican food!!  I crave it!!  Like an addict...I crave it!!  The chips, the salsa, the guacamole, the sour cream, the rice, the beans...the entire experience just makes me happy...end of story!  Unfortunately my kids do not feel the same love...in fact they might be perfectly happy to never have to eat it again but...well...I am the the mom and I am the one cooking...so sometimes they just have to deal!!  Poor sweet babies!

One of my favorite dishes at a Mexican restaurant is the Tacos al Carbon.  It is a warm corn tortilla filled with heavenly marinated meat and pico de gallo...simple and yet so tasty.  Today's recipe is not exactly the same but it passes my seal of approval.  I started by marinating Round Steak (cheap and yummy when marinated) with a mixture of 1/4 cup of fresh lime juice, 1/3 cup water, 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil, 1 large clove of garlic (minced), 3 teaspoons vinegar, 1 1/2 teaspoons liquid smoke, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and 1/4 teaspoon of onion powder.


Mix well and poor over meat.  I let mine marinate in the fridge overnight, being sure to turn it a few times...


Let it set out and come to room temperature for about 30 minutes before it is time to grill.  I grilled it over a medium high heat for about 6 minutes on each side and then covered it with foil and let it rest for 10 minutes before cutting very thinly, I also grilled a few onions...


A little meat, grilled onion, pico de gallo and guacamole on a warmed corn tortilla=HAPPINESS!!

 

Like I said, it may not be as wonderful as some I have had at restaurant's but it is darn close.  The marinade really flavors the meat and gives everything just the right touch of spice.  I love the simplicity of the dish...yet it is so delicious.  So next time you have a hankering for a taco try this and you will definitely not be disappointed.  Sweet taco-

No comments:

Post a Comment