Monday, July 8, 2013

Stuffed Sweet Peppers...

Side dishes often stump me.  I find myself in a side dish rut A LOT!!  I decide on my main dish easily and then coming up with something to serve with it makes me crazy.  I am always trying to find new and fun sides...ones that will go with anything, be healthy and tasty.  I have seen the bags of mini sweet peppers for a while now and honestly...I'm not a big pepper fan but they are so cute.  The mini things get me every time. 



I decided that stuffing them would be a fabulous option.  To make them you will need a dozen mini sweet peppers, 1/2 an onion chopped, 2 links of sweet italian sausage, 2 cloves of garlic, 1 1/2 bricks of softened cream cheese, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and herbs of choice (I chose basil and parsley from my garden)...


I began my browning my sausage that I removed from the casing...



When it was cooked through I transfered it to a paper towel lines plate to remove an access fat...



I then cooked the onions in the same pan using a little added olive oil until they were translucent...



While the onions were cooking I removed the stem and seeds and cut my peppers in half...



Once the onions were cooked I added the sausage back to pan, along with the garlic and cream cheese.  The heat from the pan will slightly melt the cream cheese so that you have a creamy consistancy...



Once I had everything incorporated well I added 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and the chopped herbs...



Using a teaspoon I filled each pepper with filling and topped with a little extra cheese...



Bake in a preheated 375° oven for 20 minutes or until the top is brown and bubbling...



Serve with your favorite grilled meat and a salad for a delicious meal.  Sweet peppers-

No comments:

Post a Comment