Friday, July 19, 2013

Zebra Cake (on the inside)...

Every year I make the birthday cakes for a handful of kids that I know & sweet Lanie is one of them.  When I asked her what kind of cake she wanted she came up with a ton of ideas but in the end decided she wanted a zebra cake on the INSIDE.  I had remembered seeing something on Pinterest about how to make the cake part look like a zebra print when you cut it but I had never done anything like that before.  I admit I was a little fearful that I would follow the directions and when she cut the cake it would just be a blob of mess...how disappointing!!  Luckily it was easy (a little more time consuming) and successful.

To make it I used two 10" cake pans but you could use any size round pan.  I mixed up two mixes (but 1 of each would be fine...I had a lot of left over batter) for both white and chocolate cake mix according to the instructions on the back (adding an additional 3 Tablespoons of water for each mix). 
 
 
I lined the bottom of the cake pans with wax paper and sprayed with Pam cooking spray...
 
 
To get the zebra affect use a 1/3 measuring cup and pour that much batter it into the middle of the pan...
 
 
Then using the other flavor of cake take a 1/3 measuring cup and pour that much batter into the middle of what you just put in there...
 
 
Do this until your pan is filled about 1/2 way...
 
 
Bake in a preheated 350° oven until a tooth pick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.  The baking time will depend a lot on your oven and how full your pan is.  I would set your timer to 25 minutes and go from there. 
 
Once it was baked I let it cool and decorated it...hoping that it worked...
 
 
Cheesy Lanie grin an added bonus!!
 
Then it was time to see if it was a success...
 
 
Not only did it get the affect that I hoped for but everyone it tasted good too.  Sweet cake-
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment