Friday, September 14, 2012

Hog Feed...

Last night my family and I hosted the first "Hog Feed" of the football season for 50 + hungry football players and the all important staff!!  I am a mom who likes to volunteer and be involved with my sweet babies and their activities.  When they were younger I committed myself to EVERYTHING and lets face it...when you are a mom who is running a household, working and trying to keep it together...over-commitment can mean burnout, loss of sleep and a crabby mommy.  For this reason I now try to choose my volunteering wisely.  I commend the parents out there that seem to do it ALL...I have learned my limits.

I started the planning by compiling the menu.  What do you feed ravenous boys who just came from a two-hour practice??  Meat and potatoes...of course!!  Luckily my dad is a barbecue extraordinaire...I knew the tri-tip would be perfect!  To make it easier on my mom & I we preassembled 3 large pans of cheesy potatoes the night before the big game.

The day of the dinner my sweet sista Amus and I set up the hall on our lunch.  We put up 7 tables in a circle (so that the team could feel together) and covered every table with either a blue or gold plastic table cover (from the Dollar Store).  A few additional decorations and the tables were ready... 


Later in the afternoon it was just a matter of the final setup, food prep and serving the grub. 

The food table-
Tri-Tip, Cheesy scalloped potatoes, green salad and rolls...


The dessert table-
Chocolate sheet cake (thank you Susan), Peanut butter and fudge bars (recipe next week), Rice Krispie Treats and football shaped Oreos...


The drink table-
We served Iced tea, Lemonade, Milk and Ice water.  I decorated the table with the tray that I made into chalkboard and a photo from 07' (I think) with a handful of the boys at a camp...


It was a total success and I enjoyed the evening so very much.  What an awesome group of boys!!  Here are a few of my favorite shots...

All I had to say was it was ready and the line formed in about 1.1 seconds...


Tater and his Papa B...


Dinner Time...

 

A little game of football...

Good Luck tonight Honkers!!  Sweet victory-

No comments:

Post a Comment