Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Budget Beef-Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes

As my hamburger journey continues I find myself more and more inspired by all things ground beef.  I mean who doesn't love a mean sloppy joe?  Meaty tomato sauce slathered on a toasty bun with the possibility of some cheese...yep...pretty darn amazing!!  Want to make a version that I think is even better?  Thought so...its that mind reading thing that forgot to tell you about...not really...just a girl on a mission to use hamburger a few times a week to save a couple of bucks. 

A friend of mine face booked me after my Tater Tot casserole post to tell me that she has saw this recipe on Pinterest and it was amazing (thanks Shara).  So what does this girl do?  Find the recipe, tweak it to my liking and share it with all of you...of course!!  Now because my sweet Tater doesn't always love tomato sauce this recipe was perfect for my family. 

To make the filling you will need 2 lbs. of hamburger, 1 teaspoon of Montreal Steak seasoning, 1 cup of beef broth, 3 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 onion (chopped) and 8 oz. sliced mushrooms...


Begin by browning the hamburger in a skillet...


Once the hamburger is browned and mostly cooked through, add the chopped onion, mushrooms and Montreal steak seasoning.  Cook until the vegetables are soft and the onions are translucent.  Add the Worcestershire sauce and broth, reduce heat and cook for about 10 minutes or until the juice is reduced...

 

While the filling is finishing up place your buns on a baking sheet with two slices of provolone cheese.  Place in a 400° oven until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted...

 

Top with the cheese steak filling and dig in...

 

For those of you who love peppers they would be perfect in this dish.  Just add them with the onion and mushrooms.  A perfect and tasty week night meal!!  Sweet Philly-

No comments:

Post a Comment