Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Creating a mantel...

Since I have moved into my new home I have been secretly looooonnnnging for a mantel.  The last rental that I lived in had one and it was my most favorite part of the house.  I had such a great time decorating it for the seasons!  I have a fireplace (or will have) now but no mantel...so what is a girl to do??  Create one for herself...of course!!  I have to admit that I am not a carpenter and sometimes my best ideas are never quite as thought out as they should be but I really like the way this project turned out. 


I started by posting on my face book page that I was looking for some old barn wood and was lucky enough to have some great people respond.  I used two solid wood shelf brackets (purchased at the Home Depot for less than $20.00 a set) and two boards to create it.  I began by spray painting the brackets with a flat black spray paint and then using a piece of sand paper to give them an aged look.


Once they were dry I attached them to one of the boards using screws.  I then attached it to the wall, using long screws.  After that it was just a matter of setting the top board on to make the self.


&

 

A few fall accessories and I now have a large shelf that works as my mantel.  It might not be over a fireplace but I love the addition to my home!  I'm so excited to keep changing it for the upcoming holidays.  Sweet mantel-

No comments:

Post a Comment